By Jon Johnson
GRAHAM COUNTY – As if Mount Graham burning and a recreational vehicle on fire in Pima weren’t enough, a couple of juveniles apparently thought it a fun idea to burn down an abandoned shed just south of Highway 366 (Swift Trail) on Monday afternoon.
The Safford Fire Department was dispatched to 782 W. Mohawk Dr. at about 2:41 p.m. regarding the structure fire. The shed was in the back yard of an uninhabited property.
Upon arrival, the shed had pretty much burnt down to its foundation, and firefighters just made sure the fire was completely out and that it didn’t spread to any of the nearby residences or desert. The volunteer department sent two engines and a water tender to the fire. The temperature outside was about 107 degrees.
Safford Fire Chief Clark Bingham said it appeared the shed was intentionally set on fire and that two juveniles were seen running from the area just before flames were reported.
Bingham encouraged parents to remind their children to not play with fire, especially during this extreme fire season. He also advised people who wish to set off fireworks for the fourth of July to do so safely.
“I advise against it,” Bingham said. “(But) if you’re going to light fireworks use extreme caution and have a hose or other means to put it out. If there’s any question, don’t do it.”