SAFFORD — Arizona Department of Transportation announced the annual closure of Swift Trail for winter travel.
The closure of State Route 366 on Mount Graham goes into effect Monday, Nov. 16.
In a press release announcing the closure, ADOT also offered winter travel tips:
● Don’t let GPS and navigation apps replace common sense. When a highway is closed, a suggested alternate route involving an unpaved, unplowed road can lead you into danger.
● Pack an emergency kit, a fully charged mobile device, extra clothing, blankets, water and snacks.
● Slow down. Drive defensively. Be patient and allow additional time for your trip. Never pass a snowplow.
● Leave sufficient space between your vehicle and those ahead of you. Give yourself plenty of room and time to stop or to avoid hazards.
● Make sure your vehicle has plenty of fuel.
● Check weather and road conditions before you travel. Let someone know your route.
● Bring a small bag of sand or cat litter for wheel traction.
Additional information on winter driving is available at azdot.gov/KnowSnow.