SAFFORD — Based on the total number of items collected by the winning classes in this year’s Double R Communications School Food Drive, Our Neighbor’s Farm and Pantry will need plenty of volunteer help Tuesday to sort all the donations.
The winning classes combined to collect almost 6,000 items of non-perishable food for the food bank, which is just 15 percent of the total number of items expected to be delivered to Our Neighbor’s Farm and Pantry on Tuesday, starting at 10 a.m.
Students were motivated to donate with the promise of a trophy, Domino’s pizza and cupcakes from Candice’s Creations for the winning class at each school.
Double R Communications — operators of Kat Kountry 94.5, Sunny 102.3, News-Talk 1230 AM KATO and Valley Vision, along with GilaValleyCentral.net — has been coordinating the food drive for more than 18 years; and this year’s sponsors include Domino’s, Candice’s Creations, Trophies N’ Tees, EA Glass, Sparklight, Valley Furniture, EasterSeals Blake Foundation and the United Way of Graham and Greenlee Counties.
2023 Class winners:
● Dan Hinton School — Mr. Mike’s class, 344 items
● Discovery Plus Academy — Mrs. Jarvis’ first-grade class, 296 items
● Dorothy Stinson School — Mrs. Smith’s first-grade class, 1,160 items
● Lafe Nelson School — Mr. Vincent’s third-grade class, 721 items
● Pima Elementary School — Ms. Graham’s class, 738 items
● Ruth Powell School — Mr. Kelly’s class, 776 items
● Solomon Elementary School — Ms. Dillman’s first-grade class, 651 items
● Thatcher Elementary School — Ms. Dixson’s class, 718 items
● Thatcher Primary School — Mrs. Hatch’s class, 332 items
● Triumphant Learning Center — Mrs. Thatcher’s class, 141 items