Graham and Greenlee County Livestock Producers May Be Eligible for 2018 Drought Disaster Assistance

Safford, Ariz – February 28, 2018 – U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) Executive Director Billy Merritt Jr. in Graham and Greenlee County today announced that ranchers and livestock producers may be eligible for assistance from the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) for grazing losses incurred in 2018.

According to Merritt, “Graham and Greenlee County recently met qualifying drought ratings that ‘trigger’ eligibility for the Livestock Forage Disaster Program on full season improved pasture, warm season improved pasture, and cool season improved pasture, native pasture, sorghum forage, short season small grains, long season small grains, annual crabgrass and annual ryegrass.”

LFP provides compensation to livestock producers who have suffered grazing losses due to drought or fire. For losses due to drought, qualifying drought ratings are determined using the U.S. Drought Monitor located at

Qualifying fires are those occurring on rangeland managed by a federal agency and the producer is prohibited by the federal agency from grazing the normal permitted livestock on the managed rangeland due to the fire.

Eligible livestock include alpacas, beef cattle, buffalo, beefalo, dairy cattle, deer, elk, emus, equine, goats, llamas, reindeer or sheep that have been or would have been grazing the eligible grazing land or pastureland during the normal grazing period.

Applications are required for 2018 losses. To expedite applications, producers who experienced losses in 2018 are encouraged to collect records documenting their losses. Supporting documents may include information related to grazing leases or federal grazing permits, contract grower agreements and more.

“We encourage producers to contact our office for an appointment and to learn what records are required to apply for assistance,” said Merritt.

For more information, contact the Graham/Greenlee County FSA office at (928) 428-5560. Information can also be obtained online at