AIA postpones 1A,2A State Tournament Games, Will hold emergency meeting to discuss rescheduling

The Arizona Interscholastic Association announced this morning that they will be postponing the 1A and 2A State basketball games that were scheduled to be played in Prescott on Friday.  On Wednesday teams were told that they still had to make the trek to Prescott Valley despite warnings from state agencies that travel would be dangerous.

At 7:38 am on Friday morning the AIA released the following statement from Executive Director David Hines.

On Wednesday because we were unable to reach consensus on postponement options for the 1A and 2A basketball tournament, we were left with the decision to play as scheduled or cancel.  No one wanted to cancel, and postponement options were challenging due to several factors. Since we didn’t know when the weather would clear, postponing a week or two meant that some schools would possibly not be able to participate.  Postponement of any length created hardships due to other travel plans of the participating teams and their students’ possible involvement in Spring sports. This lead to the decision to move forward. Most teams felt it was in their best interest to travel early with many leaving Wednesday after the conference call.   

At this point, while 13 schools are in the Prescott area, it is unsafe for them to travel to the arena.  We have advised the schools to stay in and avoid the roads until it is safe to return home. I will be working with my financial team to evaluate ways in which we may provide reimbursement assistance to the affected teams who traveled to Prescott. Tickets purchased ahead of time are fully refundable. We will post additional information and instructions within the next day.  

We are now looking at options to split the conference tournaments after the weather has improved.  We will be inquiring with a variety of venue options in the metro Phoenix area. Once venue options have been determined, a conference call will take place with the affected schools to finalize the new tournament dates and times.    

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to everyone affected. It was our sincerest desire to give the very deserving student-athletes the full tournament experience.  The intensity of storms like these has been rare for the Prescott area and we did not anticipate the full effect it would have on our traveling teams. We now appreciate the magnitude of this weather and want only for the safety of our teams.  

We will continue to post updates on social media and keep everyone aware of the next steps.  Thank you to everyone who has expressed their concerns and ideas.

Further questions may be directed to Shay Pausa at 480-286-6278 or via the Facebook AZPreps365 page.

A follow up announcement was made at 9:03 AM that the AIA will have a conference call with teams and Executive Board members to discuss rescheduling the games as soon as Saturday in Prescott. Stay tuned to this website and Overtime with Lee Patterson Facebook page for up to date information.