THATCHER – Lanterns lit up the night Saturday when the Mt. Graham Safe House held its family evening at Thatcher Park.
Venders, popcorn and an illusionist topped off the evening put on by the as people gathered in the park to bring awareness to domestic violence. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and the Safe House held events throughout the month.
Sherry Cluff, one of the workers at the Safe House, told Gila Valley Central that she enjoys the social aspect of the lantern releases.
“We just started this last year for October’s domestic awareness month,” Cluff said. “Last year, we had a good turn out and everyone had so much fun we decided to do it every year. I meet people and talk to different people and have everyone come out and visit with the kids. (It’s good) just (to) have people get to know about us. Love shouldn’t hurt.”
2015 Arizona Domestic Violence Facts
- Hotline information and referral calls -25,185
- Adults and children receiving shelter and transitional housing – 8,386
- Emergency shelter nights provided to adults and children -293,970
- Unmet requests for emergency shelter- 765
- Non-residential service hours provided (counseling, case management, legal advocacy, transportation) – 42,089
Source: Department of Economic Security