RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS
In order to compete, you must sign a form that gives us permission to use photos and audio/video recordings of you in any way we want. This includes playing them on the radio, showing them on Valley Telecom local TV and posting online (to our web site, YouTube, etc.). And remember, the internet is forever.
What happens at the preliminaries?
Contestants at the preliminaries will sing one song of their choosing in front of the judges, other contestants and THOUSANDS OF ADORING FANS!!! (ok, maybe just hundreds).
- Your song will be sung a cappella (without any instruments, backup music, etc.) Just you and a microphone!
- Your song should be memorized. If you’re busy worrying about the words, you can’t concentrate on the performance.
- Try to limit yourself to 60 – 90 seconds. One verse and a chorus should be more than enough for the judges to tell what your talents are.
- Song choice: We strongly suggest that you choose a song with which the judges are most likely familiar.
- Look the part: Dressing up is not required, but is appreciated. It is an excellent way to show the judges that this event was worth the effort to you! Look your best; sound your best.
- The judges will critique your performance right after you finish. When all the contestants have sung, the judges will make a decision about who and how many will go on to the finals. Guaranteed winners every night!
- The judges may pick any number of alternates at each preliminary. After all the preliminaries are over, you will vote for your favorite alternate right here on MySouthernAZ.com, and the winner will also compete in the finals.
What happens at the finals?
Contestants who qualify in the preliminaries will compete in the finals, which will be held at the Safford Center for the Arts in March.
- Finals contestants will sing with a backup track of their choosing.
- There will be one practice event a few days prior to the finals so contestants can familiarize themselves with the stage and the sound system.
- Cash and other prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners.
- The winners may also be invited to perform at other events sponsored by McMurray Communications throughout the following year.
- In the event that a qualifying contestant is not able to compete in the finals, an alternate from the preliminaries may be selected to fill the spot.
- The decision of the judges is final!